Saturday, November 3, 2012

New York Pre-Sandy

Last Oct. 21&22, I and my friends drove to New York to see a band from our homeland, Eraserheads, perform their reunion concert (they were the kings of Filipino Rock during the 90s, having popularized the genre by penning their own songs on love, friends, driving and everything in between). It was all sorts of awesome despite the bad handling of the organizers, because we were there for the band and not for the hoopla around the band (although I must say, the $85 we paid should have been enough to cover decent lights, a better stage and bigger screens for those at the back + not blessed with height aka me) and the waves of nostalgia they brought with them. 

 The Erasherheads, fondly called the E-heads, back in their heyday





Pretty New York skyline from the Jersey side :)

Post-concert, we frolicked around New York's top tourist spots via the subway, like Central Park (next time I vow to disturb the ducks rent a small boat), Times Square (lots of broadway shows to choose from!), and Grand Central Station (where I got two slices of New York cheesecake from different shops. Of course I had to have authentic ones haha :) ). Funny how, at first, I was hesitant about going to Grand Central Station because we were pressed for time ("It's only a train station, guys!") but when I went inside and looked up at the ceiling painted with signs of the zodiac/constellations, I had butterflies in my stomach and I could not help but smile. It was very beautiful inside; my heart fell for it hard the same way as numerous directors must have when they were filming in it. I forgot to mention, this was the same reaction I had when we entered the heart of Central Park, especially with the violinists playing in the background and the beautiful water fountain smack in the middle. I can walk around there all day and not get bored.







  New York is so pretty and diverse; that is why a lot of people visit it despite the heavy traffic (well, they are the ones who cause traffic hahaha). If I had the money to move there and, well, a job to support me I would seriously do it in a heartbeat. But a part of it scares me too, because I feel that life moves too fast there, and I'm the type of person who would want to put my feet up and relax once in a while (once winter kicks in, Central Park would no longer be an option). I love the buzz and the thrill of the place though, which is why I am hoping for the best for it's residents after the devastating deluge that was Sandy. I am sure that you guys will be able to get through this, because I think New York is made up of tough, brave and smart people! Much like my outfit below, hahaha I remember one of my friends who kept saying "You look like a New Yorker, dressed in a black leather jacket + boots." I'll definitely come back soon 

<3,




No comments:

Post a Comment