Friday, February 15, 2013

A Great Love Affair

When my maternal lolo (grandfather) was still alive, I very rarely saw him without my lola (grandmother) by his side. She was always somewhere close by, even when he was busy in the kitchen cooking up a delicious storm. I remember how he would meticulously sort out both of their pills for each day of the week, glasses teetering at the edge of his nose, his eyebrows knotted in concentration. I dared not bother him, lest he make a mistake, and just watched him put each pill in their proper compartment. It was the same thing whenever they had to pack for their 18-hour trips to Manila or abroad, lolo would do it for both of them out of love for lola, because when they were younger it was she who cooked and did housework and took care of their five daughters.

To think that when he started courting lola, she tried to avoid him at all costs because a mestizo (a male of Spanish descent) like him would surely just be a player and break her heart. But my lolo relentlessly pursued her, she who loved singing and dancing at town fiestas and private parties, and eventually she stopped hiding from him and let him court her. Mama swears that they never fought in front of her and my aunts, and that whenever lolo was away, lola would say that she was feeling ill until at last when she sees him again, she would be miraculously healed. And oh, how they loved to dance! When lolo was still well he would always ask for lola's hand and they would, for a night, transform into their younger selves, eyes closed and hips swaying to the music. My cousin, Rachelle, was lucky to have danced with him on her wedding. Thank heavens my paternal lolo is still alive and kicking, and I hope by the time I get married I would have the chance to dance with him.

Having witnessed the kind of love that my lolo and lola shared, I cannot help but make it my standard of measurement of what love should be. For me, they embodied this oft-repeated passage:
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."
(1 Corinthians 13:4-8)

Ack, sorry for being overtly sentimental, I took photos of my grandparent's photos (inception?) while I was in the Philippines and this was the perfect opportunity to reminisce and be thankful for them. I hope I will always be reminded of what love is supposed to be <3 Happy Valentine's Day to the sweetest couple I know!
Let's fall in love / Why shouldn't we fall in love? / Our hearts are made of it / Let's take a chance / Why be afraid of it



Let me leave you with a few of my favorite love songs (after the jump!):










<3 lots and lots and lots,

No comments:

Post a Comment