Sunday, October 20, 2013

Scrumptious Sunday: Vanilla Bean Cupcakes

So... I used a real vanilla bean in making cupcakes for the very first time, and it brought the cupcakes' yum factor into a whole new level. Seriously. Thank goodness the beans were on sale though (I hoarded 3! They usually sell for $5 PER PIECE, yikes!), so that made it a little easier on my wallet. My latest mini-project was for a friend's baby shower, and of course it's pretty obvious if the baby's a girl or a boy ;) A dash each of white pearls and gold sprinkles completed the look. Voilà!

Sooo pretty <3 Those little black specks are vanilla seeds and a sign of "scrumptiousness" to come! lol
Click HERE to see the recipe and for some more information about vanilla on vanilla cupcakes. Check out www.mybakingaddiction.com for more delish recipes <3 This is now my go-to recipe for vanilla cupcakes.

Notes:
-I only used one bean for the entire recipe (1/2 for the cake, 1/2 for the icing) and it turned out pretty well. If you can afford it, then by all means use two whole beans :)
-I was able to make 24 cupcakes from the recipe, and the icing was more than enough for all of those cupcakes. I would suggest to cut the icing recipe by 1/2.
-Save the yolks! You can still use them to make a lot of other baked goods, and for multiple cupcake batches I think there will be enough to make flan. Almost everybody loves flan!
-The recipe called for sifted flour (to get the lumps out and make the cupcake fluffier), but since I didn't have my sifter with me (it's in storage, along with most of my baking equipment) I improvised by fluffing the flour with a fork (some suggest using a whisk), which resulted in a teeny-bit dense cupcake.


Happy baking!
<3,





No comments:

Post a Comment