Tuesday, August 13, 2013

On Music and Concerts

There's nothing quite like watching your favorite bands/singers perform onstage, holding your screams in because you don't want to be hauled out by security, dancing/singing/dancing&singing along to their songs with friends and strangers, and reliving every moment once it's (alas!) over. These are why I tolerate ribbing from coworkers and other friends about my semi-packed summer concert schedule (see below), even if sometimes they include bands that are not as famous as they used to be (or so you think) like Hanson, 98degrees, and such. The appreciation of good music has been deeply embedded in me since I was a kid, almost always waking up on weekend mornings to John Denver's lyricism and visions of  West Virginia, Eric Clapton's ability to make his guitar sing, Frank Sinatra's velveteen voice and perfect diction, and let's not forget Simon&Garfunkel, Eagles, America, Chicago and Bread. Sometimes classical music too, plus vocal groups like The Platters and of course The Beatles. Growing up (hey 90s kids!) I learned to love the same songs as my peers: I crooned along to Boyzone, sang girl power-infused lyrics by the Spice Girls, stared googly-eyed at posters of the Backstreet Boys and dressed up like Avril Lavigne for a costume party in high school. But weekends were meant for music curated by Pa, and thus my eclectic musical taste formed. I was a teenage oldie, and proud of it.

Not included: Steve Martin, NKOTB with 98degrees and Boyz II Men, and Matchbox Twenty & Goo Goo Dolls
I used to think that Pa was the greatest guitarist in the whole world. And while that might not be true to 99.9999999999% of the population, I still think he's pretty awesome and I will always keep the memory of our morning jamming sessions close to my heart <3 He's why I taught myself to play the guitar (one of the first songs I learned to play was Summer Breeze, which was, decades after the original version, made popular again by Jason Mraz) and why I love serving in Singles For Christ's Music Ministry, although my guitar skills are verrryyyy rusty. Ma and my two brothers have good voices too; in hindsight, we should have formed our own version of The Partridge Family hehehe jk!



I am fortunate and very thankful to live near the nation's capital, because the possibility of a good artist/band playing in the area is pretty high :) If budget permits it, I'll be able to go to other concerts that I've just recently heard about <3 Thank God they're not as expensive as John Mayer's tickets, though, seriously! Then again, if it's an artist that you've loved for the longest time, why not? Carpe diem! (This is also why I joined Run or Dye even if I didn't train properly! lol) 

Click on the band's/artist's name to buy tickets :)


Walk The Moon - Sept. 27 at 9:30 Club



KT Tunstall - Sept. 28 at Lincoln Theater



Franz Ferdinand - Oct. 17 at The Music Center at Strathmore




Emeli Sande - Oct. 19 at Meyerhoff Symphony Hall



Toro Y Moi - Oct. 21 at the 9:30 Club




John Legend  - Oct. 23 at DAR Constitutional Hall



Fiona Apple - Oct. 25 at Lincoln Theater



Fitz and the Tantrums & Capital Cities- Oct. 31 at the 9:30 Club



India Arie - Nov. 22 at Rams Head Live



P!nk - Nov. 24 at the Verizon Center



Much <3,






No comments:

Post a Comment